The count down is here! Only two more days until spring break. Boy, am I ready. As I count down the days, I become more and more anxious for the sun, it’s warmth and, most of all, at least a short break from school. There are a lot of really great things about school, but after the last month, which has been charging ahead like a bull chasing a bull fighter, my brain is feeling a bit fried… and while some things, like beignets, doughnuts, and french fries are better fried, my brain is not. This will be a much needed week of rejuvenation.
We are starting the celebrating early in this house hold with these little gems: Dark and White Chocolate Chip Cherry bars. Every cherry is like a little spot of sunshine! These pictures are of the few remaining bars left- anything with cherry, or chocolate, not to mention both, will have a very short life span in this house. (Self control? What’s that?)
I know this spring break is going to be a good one. How could it not be? I’ve got chocolate and cherries on my team (in a bar!!).
Happy Spring! (Can you believe it’s here already? Where is 2011 going?!)
1 cup butter, softened
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup dried cherries (cranberries also work and are easier to find- look for cranberries that have been dehydrated with cherry juice to maintain the cherry flavor)
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Add in the vanilla.
Mix in the salt, flour, and oats. The dough will have a consistency similar to shortbread dough.
Mix in the chocolate and cherries. Press the dough into a 9 x 9.
Bake for 12-15 minutes. Allow to cool.
Cut into bars.
- Recipe: Chocolate Cherry Chunk Cookies (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Extra, extra (ourownsweettime.com)
- A Cookie Recipe With Chocolate, Pecans and Bacon Grease (drexeliuschocolates.wordpress.com)
- Chocolate Cherry Cordials (alidoesit.wordpress.com)
- Cherry Walnut Oatmeal Cookies & Eggy, Crispy Polenta This Week’s Recipes (thekitchn.com)
- Gluten-free goodness: A Palm Beach Gardens pastry chef finds her niche in wheat-free confections (pbpulse.com)
- Time For Valentinesy Sweets ~ Heart Shaped Chocolate Chip and Cherry Muffins (leberpr.com)
- Cherry Crush: Valentine’s Day (Part 1) (edamomie.com)
- Chocolate Cherry Dessert Cups (missyskitchen.wordpress.com)
- My Mom’s Chocolate Chip Cookies & Other Family Secrets (missalaneyus.wordpress.com)