For the prime rib:
For the cream sauce:
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
1 quart beef gravy or brown sauce
2 cups dry white wine
10 to 20 juniper berries, tied in a cheesecloth sachet
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons red currant jelly
2 tablespoons gin
To prepare the prime rib: In a small bowl combine ground coffee, salt, and pepper. Rub mixture on beef roast, pressing into the surface. Brush lightly with oil.
Place roast in centre of cooking grate. Grill 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours for rare (140°F/60°C), 2-1/2 to 3 hours for medium (160° F/71° C). Remove from grill and let roast rest 10 minutes before carving. Make cream sauce in last half-hour of roast cooking time.
To make the cream sauce: In a medium saucepan melt butter. Add mushrooms and shallots; cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until tender. Add gravy, wine, and juniper berry sachet. Simmer over medium heat until liquid is reduced by half. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
Strain reduced sauce; return to saucepan. Stir in red currant jelly and cook over low heat until jelly is dissolved. Stir in gin. Remove from heat. Gently fold in whipped cream. Add salt and pepper to taste.
To serve, place a little cream sauce on a plate; top with a slice of beef roast.
Makes about 12 servings.
- Salmon with Lemon & Fennel Cream Sauce (tossingtheswissaround.wordpress.com)
- Poached Cod in Creamy Tarragon Sauce (tasteinspired.wordpress.com)
- Gnocchi with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce (mybigfatitalianlife.wordpress.com)
- Heat Soups for Cold Days! (notecook.com)
- RECIPE: Roasted Vegetable & Chicken Manicotti (dailynibbles.com)
- Tony’s Table: Spaghetti with Salmon & Cream Sauce (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Iowa City’s Givanni’s (distilledopinion.wordpress.com)
- Asian Vegetable Stir Fry Recipe (renees6weekjournal.wordpress.com)
- Toasted Rice Topped with Shrimp and a Lemon Cream Sauce (tasteinspired.wordpress.com)
- Pollo ala Crema Recipe (thecookingchannel.wordpress.com)