- 4 medium Idaho potatoes– scrubbed
- 2 heads of garlic– tops trimmed off
- 4 dried cayenne chilies
- 3-4 sprigs of rosemary– fresh
- 1 cup fat free half&half (I use Land-o-Lakes Brand)
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 6-7 sprigs of chive- finely chopped
- 1/3-1/2 cup freshly grated parmigiano cheese
- coarse black pepper
- PAM olive oil flavor
1. Preheat oven 425 degrees. In a sheet of foil place both garlic heads, chilies, rosemary sprigs, salt and pepper. Spray liberally with PAM and fold foil to create a packet. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes until cloves are soft and rosemary and crispy. Remove and cool.
2. Meanwhile, cut potatoes in half and boil in salted water with peel on until fork tender. In a small bowl squeeze in garlic cloves, add rosemary, chilies, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined and garlic is mushed. Add this mixture to the potatoes and combine thoroughly. In a slow stream, add half&half and light cream. Mash together until smooth and well combined. More or less milk can be used to achieve desired consistency. Then stir in the grated parmigiano. I like smashed potatoes a little chunky and smooth. Taste for salt.
3. Place on a pretty serving platter top with a sprig of rosemary and chopped chives and a drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil (if you want!) Dig in!
I cut the fat by a pretty substantial amount by using light cream instead of heavy cream and fat free half&half. If you want to keep it completely healthy, use only fat free half&half. The consistency will still come out yummy. I also didn’t put any butter, which traditional mashed potatoes have (it’s really not necessary, because the strong rosemary and garlic flavors keep it yummy)! Plus this dish serves 6, so a little light cream won’t kill you
Like Potatoes? Try these!
- Sauteed Potatoes with Rosemary (thetravellingchopsticks.wordpress.com)
- Leek and Potato Soup (kitchenvent.wordpress.com)
- Rosemary (goddamncleanhippies.wordpress.com)
- No fuss rosemary potatoes (inpursuitoffood.wordpress.com)
- Bacon-Wrapped Rosemary Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Potatoes (cookingwithkatie.wordpress.com)
- Sirloin Steaks with Mushroom Sauce and Chive-Garlic Potatoes (dietfads.wordpress.com)
- Roast Beef with Horseradish Cream (beatcancer2010.wordpress.com)
- What’s Cookin’ on Twitter: Rosemary (friendseat.com)
- Smashed Potatoes with Garlic and Kale (mamififoodblog.wordpress.com)
- Roasted Vegetable Galette (veganmassacre.wordpress.com)