Rhubarb is the culinary equivalent of the groundhog. When its fuscia stalks emerge in the markets, you know that spring is nearly here. Luckily, rhubarb’s best friend, the strawberry, also make an early spring debut in California, jostling for attention with the well-established lemons and oranges crowding the supermarket shelves. Never one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I’ve combined all of these seasonal goodies in this dessert recipe. Strawberries, rhubarb and lemon muddle together in this impossibly bright cobbler, while a crumbly sweet dough flecked with lemon zest attempts to keep a lid on the bubbling fruit.
Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
For the filling:
2 cups diced rhubarb
1 pound strawberries, hulled, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Make the filling:
Combine all of the filling ingredients together in a bowl and toss to combine. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
Make the topping:
Combine flour, sugar baking powder, salt and butter in bowl of a food processor. Pulse until dough resembles coarse meal. Add cream and egg; pulse until dough comes together. Pulse in lemon zest.
Spoon strawberries into a baking pan or individual ramekins. Drop spoonfuls of the topping over the fruit. Bake until the topping is golden and the filling is bubbly, 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature. The flavors will develop as the cobbler cools. Serve with creme fraiche.
- Get Fit For 2011 Reader Recipe: Strawberry Oat Muffins (fitsugar.com)
- Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler (veggielover99.wordpress.com)
- Strawberry Cobbler (asouthernkitchen.wordpress.com)
- Rhubarb Dump Cake (paneful.wordpress.com)
- Strawberry-Rhubarb “Crisp” Cupcakes (tinicakes.wordpress.com)
- You Like Rhubarb, You Just Don’t Know It Yet (mamastephf.com)
- Rhubarb Crumble Pudding (grooviefoodie.wordpress.com)
- Rhubarb galette recipe (telegraph.co.uk)
- Picnic recipes (telegraph.co.uk)
- Delicious Rhubarb Fool – Where I Become The Fool!! (talesfromthefarm.wordpress.com)