A few weekends ago, I was invited to participate in a “soup swap”. Living in the ‘burbs, I’m learning that there are far more domestic things going on out here…including “soup swaps”. So I took to twitter and asked for soup recipes because come on, I certainly don’t have any. Within minutes I had 3 ready to go. With the urging of my sister, I chose to go with Chicken Toscana Soup.
1 cup chopped onion
2-5 cloves garlic, chopped
4 cups chicken broth
3-4 cups cooked chicken (I recommend a store bought rotisserie chicken)
3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
2 mini gnocchi packages
1 1/2 cup half-and-half
2-3 cups skim milk
2-3 cups spinach leaves (torn)
1 cup Parmesan cheese
Cook onion and garlic in olive oil. Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Add the gnocchi, cook 2 minutes. Add chicken and tomatoes, simmer. Sprinkle in cheese, simmer for 5-8 minutes. Add cream and milk. Add spinach. Stir together. Top with basil.
Remove from heat.
From my one attempt, I thought that leaving this soup on a low heat for a while afterwards really thickened this bad boy up. And the flavors just blended incredibly well together.
I hope you enjoy this soup half as much as I did.
- Chicken Tortellini Soup (thehappyhousewife.com)
- Soup of the Day: A classic Italian soup marries tomatoes and peasant bread (pbpulse.com)
- Tortellini Soup (cookinglessonsfromhome.wordpress.com)
- Diet Recipe Today: Tomato Soup (puresafediet.com)
- Tomato Soup Recipe – For A Healthy Skin (healthadvisory.typepad.com)
- A Chicken Soup for the Timid Soul (foodiejoanie.wordpress.com)
- Carrot Ginger Soup via Bethenny Frankel (via Gal Pal) (gradissima.wordpress.com)
- Chicken Rice Soup (littlelotusblossom.wordpress.com)
- Soup Pot: Pesto Bean Soup (thecooksnextdoor.com)
- Roasted Chicken Noodle Soup with Ginger (madefromscratchinbk.wordpress.com)