This chicken and mushrooms recipe video is an experiment in extreme self-control. I wanted to challenge myself to make a chicken and mushrooms recipe using only chicken and mushrooms. By the way, if it was still Fat Tuesday, I would have totally called this recipe, “Almost Naked Breasts,” but on Ash Wednesday, that just doesn’t seem appropriate.
While chefs are always preaching about keeping things uncomplicated, and letting the natural goodness of the main ingredients shine though, we rarely follow our own advice. There are so many ways to flavor and enhance breasts like these that it’s easy to forget simplicity and instead start, “layering the flavors.”
As I mention in the video, while this may seem like it was intended as a lesson for novice cooks, it’s actually dedicated to the advanced cook who may have forgotten just how wonderful a two-ingredient recipe can be.
Now, before the more anal among you start sending in the, “there are actually five ingredients” comments and emails, I’ll tell you right now, I’m not counting salt and black pepper as ingredients, nor am I including the fats. Hey, I have to sear that skin in something.
Anyway, the real point is to get you to try and see how much flavor you can coax out of these two main players by simply using great technique. Of course, that’s easier said than done, and the vast majority of you will be unable to resist the minced garlic and the cayenne shaker. Either way, enjoy!
2 large chicken breasts, boneless, skin-on
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
8 oz thickly sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon butter
- Baked Lemon Chicken with Veggies and Mushroom Sauce over Noodles (via poiema.life.) (sarahrlack.wordpress.com)
- 10 Slow-Cooker Recipes Under $10 (mint.com)
- Recipe: Stout-Braised Chicken Thighs (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Chicken Marsala with Sage and Thyme (afreshpairofeyes.wordpress.com)
- Baked Lemon Chicken with Veggies and Mushroom Sauce over Noodles (poiemalife.wordpress.com)
- Fabio Viviani’s Chicken Marsala Recipe (averagebetty.com)
- Life Café at Boca Raton Lifetime Athletic Club: Spinach and bean salad with marinated and grilled chicken (pbpulse.com)
- The Swirl Girls take the $100 dinner party challenge (pbpulse.com)
- Yesterday When My Lunch Got Eaten (josashimi.wordpress.com)
- Chicken and Rice – YUM! (smalltownworld.wordpress.com)