So, was it the sausage or the cheese that inspired you to open this post and get your mouth watering?
Quiche is one of my favorite dishes with it’s flakey and buttery crust and creamy egg filling. Oh and add cheese and game over! Nevertheless, quiche this indulgent often make me feel a bit lethargic. Hello, food coma! Why not omit the crust and make the filling a bit lighter but still flavorful?!
You’ll enjoy the health benefits of this quiche. The chicken sausage and eggs contain loads of protein. Not to mention, the spinach contains phytonutrients for anti-inflammatory and ant-cancer benefits. The vitamin K from spinach is essential for maintaining bone health. Did I mention the sharp cheddar is low fat?…Eat up!
Crustless Sausage and Cheese Quiche
- 2 cups of fresh spinach
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 chicken sausage links, halved and sliced into half moons
- 1/2 cup cubed low fat sharp cheddar or cheese(s) of your choice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup 1% or nonfat milk
- sea salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a pie dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Add the olive oil and chicken sausage to a medium or large skillet over medium heat. Cook the sausage until browned. Remove from skillet and set aside. Using the juices from the chicken sausage and olive oil, add the fresh spinach and saute until wilted. This step should not take very long, probably about 2 minutes.
Place the wilted spinach in a colander. When the spinach has cooled, gently squeeze to remove excess moisture. Lay spinach in the bottom of the pie dish. Throw-in the cubed cheddar and sausage!
In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, 2 whole eggs, 1 egg white and sea salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the spinach, cheddar and sausage. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Crustless Sausage and Spinach Quiche (kopssoren.wordpress.com)
- Spinach Quiche (truehealthwisconsin.com)
- Spinach Frittata too easy, soooo good! (chanteusedesigns.wordpress.com)
- Recipe: Bacon, Chard and Fontina Quiche (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Vegetarian quiche (justinehodge.wordpress.com)
- Chili Egg Puff (Crustless Quiche) (twohungrysisters.com)
- Salmon and Watercress Quiche (lamismacocina.wordpress.com)
- “Oh You Fancy, Huh”: Quiche, Compote, and Hibiscus for the Holidays (vitasveganventures.wordpress.com)
- Healthy Veggie Quiche! (fourthbroomstick.wordpress.com)
- Food for Ostara (ritualfeasts.wordpress.com)