It’s that time of the year where Christmas lights start going up and families plan their Thanksgiving feasts. A big part of the holidays are apples, more specifically apple pie.. YUM. There’s nothing that can be wrong with a hot, fresh, flaky and juicy apple pie. And what’s better than just a slice- a tart! Just as flaky and yummy but smaller and with CHOCOLATE. Plus at the Thanksgiving table theres GOING to be that family member(s) that doesn’t want to eat too much dessert, or a big slice or they’re watching their weight. So this is the PERFECT addition to your dessert spread!
Petite decadent pastry shells filled with moist apples, brown sugar, spices and zest topped with lucisious chocolate and the only things left to complete the deal is your hand and mouth! I swear by Williams & Sonoma Basic Pastry Dough recipe because it’s easy, fast and super tasty. I just tweek it a bit of course!
Basic Pastry Dough:
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 7 tbsp unsalted cubed (make sure its VERY cold)
- 6-8 tbsp COLD water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
Spiced Apple Filling:
- 4 green apples- peeled and cubed small
- 2/3 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (fresh is so much better!)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh orange zest
- pinch clove powder
- PAM Baking Flavor
- 3-4 bittersweet chocolate squares (I used Ghiradelli)
- 2-3 tbsp half & half (I used fatfree Land-o-Lakes)
- 2-3 tbsp warm water
For the Pie Dough:
1. In a food processor add the flour, salt and sugar and pulse until blended. Add the cubed butter and pulse until the butter chunks are small pea sized. While pulsing, slowly dribble in the cold water. Add enough water until the dough has turned into a rough mass.
2. Place dough mixture on a floured counter and form into a 1-2 inch thick disk. Wrap with plastic and place in the fridge for AT LEAST 2 hours.
For the Apple Mixture:
1. In a bowl mixture together all the ingredients listed above. Place aside.
Putting it together..
**If using a conventional oven, preheat to about 375. Spray the muffin tins.
1. After 2+ hours, remove the dough from the fridge onto a floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out into a thin pastry sheet (just before its thin enough to see through! Using a round 3 inch cookie cutter or a knife, cut out circles. Regardless of whether you’re using the babycakes machine or regular muffin tins, make sure to SPRAY them. Line each cup with the circles of dough pressing lightly into the cup to create a tart shell. If using babycakes machine, use the pie tart tool to press into the cups. Bake for about 5 minutes or until the shells are slightly cooked and slightly golden.
2. Remove the tins from the oven/ open the babycakes machine lid. Add enough apple filling to come over the top of the tin a little. Bake for another 8-10 minutes, or until apples are soft and crust is golden brown and crispy. Remove each tart from the tin/babycakes machine and let cool on a rack.
Pouring the Drizzle..
1. Heat chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for about 45 second. Pour in milk and 1 tbsp of water. Heat for another 30-40 second. Stir and if not melted, add another tbsp hot water and heat for another 30 second. Stir until smooth and glistening. You want the consistency to be a bit thin so you can drizzle the tarts.
2. Using a small whisk or spoon (I used a spoon) drizzle the tarts in a fast back and forth motion until tops are covered. Cool until chocolate is hardened.
Makes about 20 tarts
Hot with fresh whip cream and chocolate curls
Hot with fresh vanilla or dulce de leche ice cream
Hot with a nice cup of coffee
Wanna See More Recipes Using the Babycakes Machine?
- Apple Cinnamon Pop Tarts (kitchenmisfit.wordpress.com)
- Pearly Peppermint Bark (thecookingchannel.wordpress.com)
- Almonds Make you Beautiful- almond cake, biscuits and tart (goddesscake.wordpress.com)
- Pear, Mascarpone & Hazelnut Tart – GCC: Menu 22 (samcynsedibleadventures.wordpress.com)
- Receipe: A Vegan & Gluten-Free Apple Tart That Does Not Taste Like Cardboard (glutenfreehub.wordpress.com)
- French Apple Tart (carabossesbakeshop.wordpress.com)
- Mini Strawberry Pies (morecheesemorechocolate.com)
- Dan Lepard’s sherried apple tart (guardian.co.uk)
- No-Bake Chocolate Bottom Pumpkin Tart (fourthbroomstick.wordpress.com)